Gorilla Tracking in Rwanda takes place in Volcanoes National Park in altitudes of about 2000 Meters above sea level. Volcanoes experiences a modified equatorial climate. Volcanoes National Park(Par des Volcans) is both hilly and cold. The grounds are usually wet and the paths are full of stinging plants-nettles. Besides, the rains are random. In this regard all prospective trackers are asked to bring the following
- Long trousers/ pants- to avoid stinging nettles please do not wear short parks when tracking gorillas. The trousers must be strong enough to withstand occasional pulls from thorns.
- Long sleeved shirts/ t-shirts. To avoid stinging nettles
- Gloves- These are required to avoid injury to your hands. Remember the grounds are wet and slippery. To avoid injury from thorny bushes and objects on ground
- Hiking boots- Please bring average waterproof sturdy walking boots reaching ankle level not mountain climbing boots. Something light and hardy will do.
- Warm cardigan- Volcanoes can get extremely cold. A warm cardigan is required to keep off cold.
- Long sleeved Rain Coat or anorak -it can rain anytime in Volcanoes National Park even on hot days. The downpours are heavy and extremely cold.
- Water proof container for your cameras. Yes I know there are waterproof cameras but even them to be sure just put them in a waterproof container. When you are slipping and falling in muddy grounds you do not want your precious photos damaged or do you?
- If you desire headgear (hats), a baseball cap is recommended as gorillas are familiar to them.
- Enough water- minimum of 2 litres of drinking water to avoid dehydration. Carry four just in case the hike proofs longer than expected. Sometimes it can be 8 hours.
- Film Camera- A film camera for domestic use is recommended.
- A camera
- If you are interested in birds, you can bring Field guide to birds of East Africa by Fanshawe and a pair of binoculars.
When to book Your Gorilla Tracking Safari. It is important to book your gorilla tracking safari as early as possible. For June/ Jul/ August and early September, book your safari latest January. Any other months you try your luck any time, But to be sure give it three months in advance.
FAQS, GORILLA TRACKING TIPS. How long is the trek? How long will you stay with gorillas? Can one fail to see them? Security? At what altitude is the hike? What level of fitness do you requires? Are you likely to meet other animals besides gorillas? OH Yes, we will answer all those right now
- Treks to the gorilla can take as short as 2 hours or as long as 8 hours. Remember gorillas roam the whole of Volcanoes National Park without any restrictions. Thus they can be near or far. Some gorilla families like the Susa are usually far while other like Umubano are near.
- You stay with the gorillas for only one hour. Strictly one hour no more. Longer stays tend to make gorillas aggressive. Yo do not want to be charged, Do you?
- Level of fitness- any average person can do gorilla tracking. Since 2007 only one of our guest failed to see gorillas
- By statistics, gorilla sighting in Rwanda is 100%. However remember gorillas are wild so one cannot guarantee a sighting.
- Tracking commences at 07:00 Hrs daily from Kinigi Park Headquarters.
- Roads in Volcanoes are extremely rough. You need a 4×4 car in Rwanda . You can use public means from Kigali to Ruhengeri. However having your own car gives you a high degree of flexibility. You can stop whenever you want.
- Porters are available to help you with luggage. Porters will cost you USD 10.00. It is advisable to have one
- Other animals in the park-elephants, buffaloes, golden monkeys, duickers.
- Since 1994, Rwanda has proofed to be one of the most secure countries in the world. However in towns take due care as you would in your own country.
Book your 4 days 3 nights gorilla tracking safari. For June, July, August and September book and deposit for permits by January.
To Book Email: email@example.com